Motorcycle Repair/KX 500

I have what was supposed to be an 89 KX 500.  From what I have been told my stator plate and flywheel is what matches and 88, two separate coils exactly adjacent to each other.  I purchased a lighting coil for an 89 and there in nowhere to add it to my stator plate.  Even if I could, the flywheel would not fit over the coil.  Can I use a later model stator plate and flywheel on this bike?  

\'89 Generator
'89 Generator  

\'88 Generator
'88 Generator  
Hello Steve,

As far as I know (it's been some time since I worked on a bike like yours) there is no aftermarket coil to fit the stock plate and flywheel. Furthermore, every modification involving alternative stator and flywheel installation, caused more problems than solved. Increased mass of the larger flywheel led to woodruff key fail and crankshaft-end seizure.

The only way I know off, is to rewind the stock coil. The problem there is that, if the additional winding is more than 15-20W, it will interfere with the ignition winding, causing misfire. Nowadays though, with all these led headlights out in the market, 15w is more than enough.

Clarification: I'm not saying that there is NO other way, just that that's the only one I've tried with success and long term reliability.

One other thing you should know, is that most of the coils out there, refer to '85 - '87 models, and do not fit '88 -'89 (which are identical).

I hope I've been helpful.

Best Regards,

Motorcycle Repair

Lazaros Ampatzidis

I can help you on EVERY issue involving POST-1980 Japanese Motorcycles plus KTM and Husaberg. My field of expertise includes Engine, Transmission, Fuel system (carburation & EFI),Electrics and Electronics. Maintenance, repair and tuning. Road and off-road suspension tuning. Please don't ask me about non-Japanese Motorcycle, especially American built on which I have low to zero experience.

I'm a rider and hobbyist since childhood. 25 years motorcycle workshop mechanic.15 years motorcycle racing mechanic. In order of experience high to low:Kawasaki,Suzuki,Honda,Yamaha,KTM,Husaberg.

Hellenic (Greek) Technical School.Internal Combustion Engines Engineer. Automotive Electronics.