Motorcycle Repair/1984 xr200r

Bike runs good just won't kick start  what do u think

Jesse, there are a couple of ways to interpret your question....

1. The kickstarter doesn't engage the engine  OR
2. The engine doesn't start with the kickstarter (bump starting only)

If the kickstarter doesn't turn the engine over, there can be broken parts inside or the gears  #2 not engaging with #3 if #3 has seized up or the springs are broken, the spark timing will be off causing starting and running problems.

If you haven't adjusted the valve clearances and the compression is weak due to tight valves, then that makes them hard to start at low speeds/kickstarting. Adjust the valve clearances to .002" on the intake and .003" on the exhaust valves and check compression afterwards. Should be about 200 psi. If compression is still low, then you have burnt valves and/or worn piston rings causing compression loss.

Sometimes, all they need is a good tune-up and fresh spark plug, but there are many small parts in the systems that can cause the engines not to start easily.

IF you leave gasoline in the carburetor/fuel system for more than a few months at a time, the fuel will separate into gas/alcohol and plugging up the idle jet and the diluted fuel doesn't burn very well. #22

You really didn't give me enough clear information to go on, so those are the strongest points I can make in response to your question.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.