Motorcycle Repair/96 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Question
QUESTION: It was a cold morning when I drove my bike to class. It started up fine due to it being garage kept. After about 3 hours of sitting outside (20 degrees) while I was in class, the bike would not start up. Battery was fine and on one of the attempts I tried to start it, it backfired. Any idea what the problem could be?

ANSWER: Hello Brandon,

Most probably your spark-plugs are fouled, due to low temperature (I trust it's 20 degrees Fahrenheit). Unless you forgotten to close the choke(!!!), you should try one number hotter plugs. Standard plug is NGK DPR8EA-9. Switch to DPR7EA-9, but don't forget to install the standard back, when the temperatures rise above 60F.

Best Regards,
Lazaros.  

QUESTION: I checked the spark plugs and when I took them out I discovered they had gas on them. What could be the cause of this? And how can I prevent it from happening again

Answer
Hello Brandon,

That's what I was talking about...(fouled plugs) If you didn't drive all the way with the choke forgotten at the "ON" position, the problem is the plug type and/or number. Let me know what plugs where on the bike (i.e. NGK DPR8EA-9) and I'll be able to assist you more accurate.

Lazaros.  

Motorcycle Repair

Lazaros Ampatzidis