Motorcycle Repair/Battery won't charge

I have replaced the rectifier/regulator, battery ad stator for a 2005 Suzuki gsxr 600 and the battery dies after being charged. I can make back and forth for a couple of days, but now the driving time is getting shorter and shorter between charges. Please help.

I normally only offer help on pre-1977 machines, but do you have a voltage meter ? If so, then first use a charger to get your battery fully charged and then check the voltage across the + and - battery posts with the battery connected and with the engine running at 2500 rpm, and then again at 4 or 5000 rpm.If the charging system is working then you will see something around 13.5 volts (DC of course) and then something like 14.5 volts at the higher rpm - but less than 14.8 volts. If the voltage stays less than 13, then the charging system has a problem. Bad connections, bad components - something like that. Check the connections first - sometimes pins get pushed back and do not make good contact.

If you have good voltage - then the new battery could be bad - it does happen especially with the newer lithium style batteries. And have you recently painted the bike ? If so, then check your grounds.

Good luck !  

Motorcycle Repair

Ian R. Sandy

I can answer restoration questions specifically about the Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo/Kettle/Water Bottle which was made between 1972 and 1977. I may also be able to assist with some restoration questions on the Suzuki T500 made between 1968 and 1977. I will not answer questions about other makes or models. I focus on restorations - I not especially interested in 'non-stock' restorations or rebuilds.

I wrote the on-line reference manual on the Suzuki GT750 called 'A Field Guide to the Suzuki GT750 Le Mans' which is available at no charge on line. I currently own six Suzuki GT750's - a 1972 (scheduled to be restored in 2013), a 1973, a 1975, two 1976 models and a 1977. I also operate and maintain the on-line reference site 'Suzuki T/GT Resources' as well as the Old Japanese Bikes web site.

I am a member of the VJMC, the AMCA and of the CVMG.

'A Field Guide to the Suzuki GT750 Le Mans' 'Notes from the Corner' - the OJB blog 'The Suzuki T/GT Resource Pages'

Graduate of Sheridan College in Instrumentation Technology, which is interesting but not really germane to this discussion - I owned my first GT750 new in 1974 and have owned and ridden at least one now for very nearly 40 years.

My 1973 GT750 was featured as the 'March' bike in the recent CVMG-RMS section calendar.

I am the web-admin for the CVMG, and also for the CVMG-RMS section. I am also a moderator on the Sundial 2 stroke board.