Motorcycle Repair/Primary removal

Question
QUESTION: Hi Mike, I have a 1997 FLHR & am changing the transmission pulley. After removing the compensator nut & clutch mainshaft nut, I'm finding the primary won't come off. Is it OK to use something like a pickle fork behind it to get it to come off? I don't want to break the inner primary case. I've helped friends change theirs & it always just came right off. I don't think I did anything wrong. its just really on there tight. Please advise. Thanks, Dale

ANSWER: When you say the primary wont come off, which part are you referring to?
Mike

QUESTION: Hi Mike, I'm referring to the inner primary cover. I'm just making sure I don't break something. I know this probably sounds stupid but, I've helped quite a few friends change their & have never seen one that basically doesn't just practically fall of. I can wiggle it a little but, seems to be really tight. Thanks again, Dale

Answer
Remember, no question is a stupid question. Its a learning process.
You have to remove the jackshaft, the part that turns against the clutch basket and you have to remove the starter. It is connected to the inner primary.
Good luck with your project
Mike

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells