Motorcycle Repair/Primary removal

QUESTION: Hi Mike, I have a 1997 FLHR & am changing the transmission pulley. After removing the compensator nut & clutch mainshaft nut, I'm finding the primary won't come off. Is it OK to use something like a pickle fork behind it to get it to come off? I don't want to break the inner primary case. I've helped friends change theirs & it always just came right off. I don't think I did anything wrong. its just really on there tight. Please advise. Thanks, Dale

ANSWER: When you say the primary wont come off, which part are you referring to?

QUESTION: Hi Mike, I'm referring to the inner primary cover. I'm just making sure I don't break something. I know this probably sounds stupid but, I've helped quite a few friends change their & have never seen one that basically doesn't just practically fall of. I can wiggle it a little but, seems to be really tight. Thanks again, Dale

Remember, no question is a stupid question. Its a learning process.
You have to remove the jackshaft, the part that turns against the clutch basket and you have to remove the starter. It is connected to the inner primary.
Good luck with your project

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!! I CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT HARLEYS !!! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER MODELS!!! IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A NON HARLEY BIKE IT WILL GET REJECTED!!!I have a Harley only shop with 30 years experience located in Ohio. We specialize in complete and total repair, restoration, hi-performance, and custom bike building. I can work on Flat Heads to Twin Cams. Please, dont ask how much somthing is going to cost to fix. Labor prices differ all over te country as well as shop to shop!

If its broke on a harley we can repair it. We do complete restoration from the frame up, engine and trans rebuilding, remapping and custom bike building

School of hard knocks!