Motorcycle Repair/1985 virago conversion

I have a 1985 virago 700. I tore it down to replace a ring set and found the cylinder to be scarred beyond repair. My question is since I need a new cylinder any way, will the 1000 cylinders fit the 700 only replacing the pistons?

Hello John,

Although did a lot of searching, I wasn't able to find evidence for either yes or no...
Theoretically, the valve duration/area and the combustion chamber of the 700, will cause suffocation to the 1000 displacement, not to mention extreme compression and detonation.

That's theory though and maybe someone with more experience on Viragos than me, could help
more accurate.

Best Regards,

Motorcycle Repair

Lazaros Ampatzidis

I can help you on EVERY issue involving POST-1980 Japanese Motorcycles plus KTM and Husaberg. My field of expertise includes Engine, Transmission, Fuel system (carburation & EFI),Electrics and Electronics. Maintenance, repair and tuning. Road and off-road suspension tuning. Please don't ask me about non-Japanese Motorcycle, especially American built on which I have low to zero experience.

I'm a rider and hobbyist since childhood. 25 years motorcycle workshop mechanic.15 years motorcycle racing mechanic. In order of experience high to low:Kawasaki,Suzuki,Honda,Yamaha,KTM,Husaberg.

Hellenic (Greek) Technical School.Internal Combustion Engines Engineer. Automotive Electronics.