Motorcycle Repair/engine hanger CL72-CL77

Hello I wonder if Honda changed the upper engine hanger bracket tube collar from threaded holes for two 8x16 hex bolts to one long through bolt. I had to replace the short tube because of damage and we used a straight donor tube from a CL77. We discovered after the installation that the holes were not tapped on either side of the tube's collar. The original bolts from the CL72 just spin in the openings. If this is a design change then that's fine I'll just start looking for the correct bolt. If its something else then I guess we will have to remove the replacement tube and find one that is factory tapped. SOB I hope that is not the case. Spent lettuce squaring & truing this frame  Thank You for Listening Bob 4/11/2015.

It is not uncommon for the two threaded bolt holes to become stripped out and putting a heli-coil in that location might be challenging. The "easy" way to deal with that is to just drill out the holes all the way through and use a long bolt. So unfortunately you may have installed a damaged part. You might try going to some short 10mm bolts as oversize, trying to use a thread repair on the existing holes, weld up the holes and start over or find a better frame piece to use.... or just use a longer through-bolt and be done with it. It is tough to repair short, blind-hole threads.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.