Motorcycle Repair/Honda VF 750 Magna not firing on one side

Hello, my name is Charlie Duplechain, I have a 2000 Honda Magna 750. The right two cylinders do not fire at idle, above idle its runs fine. I used a volt stick (glows red when current is present in an insulated wire) and checked the left side. The volt stick glowed red at idle. I checked the right side and nothing at idle. When I gave it a little throttle the volt stick lit up and you could hear the cylinders fire up. I thought it might be a coil but there is a coli for the front and one for the back, not left and right. Any suggestions?

Well, that is kind of odd, isn't it? I think I would check the spark plugs to see if they are fuel/oil fouling and then check the spark plug caps for excessive resistance. The other thing to check is if the spark plug cap/wires are arcing through to the engine, instead of across the plug gap.

If it gets deeper than that, check with this site...

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.