Motorcycle Repair/520 chain link count

Question
Hello Just so I don't purchase the wrong chain after following the Honda shop manual that stated 94 links for 530 chain. The manual sure didn't clarify that it was for CL77 and not CL72. What is the correct number of links on a 520 chain for a 1964 CL72, 250 Scrambler running its stock 40T rear sprocket and 15T drive sprocket? Should this chain be standard without O rings ? I thought I was fairly up on these scramblers however there are those differences between the 305 and 250 that you don't always suspect . They are there just the same though. LOL !

Answer
Bob, the 1962 CL72 parts book shows 520 x 100 links for the drive chain length.

I don't recommend o-ring chains for these bikes as there is quite a bit of friction loss in the chains due to the o-rings rubbing against the links/pins.

Questions like this are why I wrote the Restoration Guide information packages, so people don't waste time and money buying parts for their bikes that don't fit because of design changes. There are many tech and parts bulletins for these bikes, plus studying the parts books of that era will reveal a lot of changes that are subtle, but different enough to warrant a new part number.

Bill Silver
www.vintagehonda.com

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver