Motorcycle Repair/carburetor fitment

I'm working on a 93 suzuki Intruder 1400 and the flange on the front carb that the throttle cable screws into is broken. I would like to know what other year carburetors are compatible. One dealership told me 93 to 96. Others say 93 to 2009. They all look the same. Is there a big difference?  Thank you

VS1400 Carburettors
VS1400 Carburettors  
Hello Chris,

The VS1400 carburettors, as bodies, are interchangeable on models 1988 to 2002.
Differences, based on areas and local legislation, are found in the internal parts (jets, jet needles) and if you just swap them, you can use almost any carb body.

There are a couple of exceptions though, involving differences on the body, like air passages and if you don't want to take the gamble, check the I.D. number on your carb at the location shown in picture (e.g. 38B40, 38B50), let me know, and I'll point you which models to avoid, since they are fewer than the matching ones.

Hope I helped.
Best Regards,

Motorcycle Repair

Lazaros Ampatzidis

I can help you on EVERY issue involving POST-1980 Japanese Motorcycles plus KTM and Husaberg. My field of expertise includes Engine, Transmission, Fuel system (carburation & EFI),Electrics and Electronics. Maintenance, repair and tuning. Road and off-road suspension tuning. Please don't ask me about non-Japanese Motorcycle, especially American built on which I have low to zero experience.

I'm a rider and hobbyist since childhood. 25 years motorcycle workshop mechanic.15 years motorcycle racing mechanic. In order of experience high to low:Kawasaki,Suzuki,Honda,Yamaha,KTM,Husaberg.

Hellenic (Greek) Technical School.Internal Combustion Engines Engineer. Automotive Electronics.