Motorcycle Repair/Honda twinstar 1980 6volt

QUESTION: I have 3 wires going to a 2 prong signal light flasher. Black,green,grey.
What are the correct ones to hook up?
Thank you.

Black wire is switched power from the ignition switch circuit.
Gray is the power feed from the flasher to the light switch on the handlebars
Green is Ground, used on the three prong flashers used in some countries.
The flasher might have a B+ or + or B on the power terminal. If there is an L on the other terminal that goes to the lights via the turn signal switch.

Bill Silver

QUESTION: Hello there, just got a new rectifier for my cm200t 1980 6v honda.
the nw rectifier has different wiring colors than the original.
The original has 2 yellow,1black,1green,1red.
the new one has 1black,1pink,1red,1green,1yellow.
what is the correct way to hook up?
thank you, pete

Pete, apparently you didn't buy an OEM part to use on your bike. Most of the aftermarket replacements are usable as long as they are wired correctly.

In this case:

You should be able to use the pink and yellow wires in place of the two yellow wires to make it work.

Red goes to the battery as the output from the rectifier, green is ground and black is usually a switched hot lead to feed the primary circuits when the ignition switch is turned on. Stator winding wires are usually yellow, brown and/or pink for the older machines.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.