Motorcycle Repair/1981 kawasaki kz 1000 oil ring

this is my first complete rebuild of a street bike so i got in a big hurry putting engine back in frame and for got some stuff while being in a hurry so in the process putting the jug back on i have bent one of my oil rings for the piston it didnt crack or break it just bent and straitened out can it be restraitened

Hello James,

That's a tricky one...
It depends on how much it bent. Without being able to see it, I can't suggest what to do.
Up to a point, it can be straightened and used without fear.
From a point on, I wouldn't take the risk to use it. When it warms up and takes all the working pressure, it could get stuck in it's groove, or worse, break. Best case you would have excessive oil consumption.
A picture of it would help me make a choice.

Best Regards,

Motorcycle Repair

Lazaros Ampatzidis

I can help you on EVERY issue involving POST-1980 Japanese Motorcycles plus KTM and Husaberg. My field of expertise includes Engine, Transmission, Fuel system (carburation & EFI),Electrics and Electronics. Maintenance, repair and tuning. Road and off-road suspension tuning. Please don't ask me about non-Japanese Motorcycle, especially American built on which I have low to zero experience.

I'm a rider and hobbyist since childhood. 25 years motorcycle workshop mechanic.15 years motorcycle racing mechanic. In order of experience high to low:Kawasaki,Suzuki,Honda,Yamaha,KTM,Husaberg.

Hellenic (Greek) Technical School.Internal Combustion Engines Engineer. Automotive Electronics.