Motorcycle Repair/'98 Honda VT750CD ACE

My ignition switch is shorting or has bad/dirty contacts. Can it be cleaned with Deoxit and is there a way to do it without taking it apart?

Hello Rick,

The best way by far, is to take it apart, thus be able to see if it's just dirty or worn contacts.
If this is hard for you to do, you can half-submerge the switch in isopropyl alcohol* or WD40 and turn the key repeatedly (all the way left to right and back) for a couple of minutes.
Let it dry and test. Repeat if needed. Do NOT use compressed air to dry it.

Best Regards,

*You can find isopropyl alcohol in electronics/computer shops.

Motorcycle Repair

Lazaros Ampatzidis

I can help you on EVERY issue involving POST-1980 Japanese Motorcycles plus KTM and Husaberg. My field of expertise includes Engine, Transmission, Fuel system (carburation & EFI),Electrics and Electronics. Maintenance, repair and tuning. Road and off-road suspension tuning. Please don't ask me about non-Japanese Motorcycle, especially American built on which I have low to zero experience.

I'm a rider and hobbyist since childhood. 25 years motorcycle workshop mechanic.15 years motorcycle racing mechanic. In order of experience high to low:Kawasaki,Suzuki,Honda,Yamaha,KTM,Husaberg.

Hellenic (Greek) Technical School.Internal Combustion Engines Engineer. Automotive Electronics.