Motorcycle Repair/1983 honda c70 electronic failure

Hi Bill,
My 1983 honda c70 scooter was recently rained on and as I rode it home all of the electronics on the bike began to fail.  I can remember my neutral light flickering when it is usually a solid green.  Later on down the road, i revved the bike and then there was a pop and all of the electronics on the bike stopped working.  The horn still works when im driving if that info makes any difference.

John, well the first thing to do is to dry everything back out again. Rain may have entered the handlebar switches, ignition switch connector, connections inside the headlight and even the tail light. You need to access and check all of the electrical connections on the bike, including those which are up inside the frame when you remove the battery.

Check the battery for being fully charged and able to pass a load test. If your battery goes dry or is very old, the charging system will overwhelm the battery and electrics, causing blown fuses, burnt out light bulbs and possible damage to the rectifier.

The headlight generally runs off of the alternator directly. The horn, neutral light, tail light and ignition system. If you don't have a wiring diagram, use one here for reference:

Check your ignition switch connector and all the wiring around the battery box. You want nice tight clean connections on all wiring and good solid grounds where they need to be, as well.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.