Motorcycle Repair/1984 honda v30 Magna 500

when I urn on ignition switch and press start button I get no respomse

Keith, check your clutch lever bracket to see if the switch plunger is sticking. There is a safety system that keeps the bike from starting if it is in gear.

Verify that the headlight is working properly. The starter button normally allows the headlight to be ON when the switch is on, then disconnects the headlight when the button is pressed in for START. If the headlight is erratic, probably the starter button function is failing/dead.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.