Motorcycle Repair/Honda Dream CA77 blows fuses

Question
Hello,
I have a Honda Dream CA77 that I have been completely rebuilding. I am having a problem with my dream continually blowing fuses. So far I have put a brand new ignition switch on it. The headlight functions work but the taillight is currently not working. It has no horn and the starter is there but the switch to use it is missing. I really am running out of ideas but I'm wondering if the generator could have anything to do with it possibly? Any feedback you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help.
Cheers,
Charles

Answer
Charles,

There is a somewhat useful wiring diagram on http://oldmanhonda.com/MC/WiringDiagrams/MCwiring.php

If your tail light isn't working, either you don't have a good ground path from the bulb socket to the plate to the tail light bracket to the rear fender.. or you have a pinched/shorted wire back there.

If the fuse blows in the first position from OFF to the right, the circuits involved are the ignition/coil, the horn, the brake light switch the neutral switch and the starter solenoid primary windings. Any of the wires to these circuits should either be hooked up to the proper components or insulated from touching ground paths.

If the fuse only blows when you turn the ignition switch to the next function up (Lights), then you have to look at the instrument light, headlight/high beam indicator, tail light functions and the dimmer switch on the left side of the handlebars. All the wiring inside the headlight must be checked. On some of the early bikes the GREEN wires are ground but some are 12v hot leads from the dimmer switch. If you cross them up, the fuse blows every time.

Bill Silver
www.vintagehonda.com

I have extensive restoration guide information available for Honda Dreams. Check site for details.  

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver