Motorcycle Repair/Should I rebuild my carb?

Should I rebuild my carbs? My bike had 0 power, couldn't go faster than 40 while flooring it. I figured it was the carbs because I stored it all winter and didn't do anything to winterize (I thought I would ride more, ended up not). I took it apart and found an air cleaner hose badly cracked. Is this my problem? I thought it might be, but I pulled the carb anyway and funneled a little seafoam inside. I let it sit two days and drained it. It came out crystal clean and clear. So maybe the carb isn't gunked like I thought?

The bike is a 96 Honda Shadow 600 VLX. I don't really want to spend the money on new carb kits and what not if I don't have too. Plus, I don't have a manometer. Thoughts?

The 96 is a dual set of carburetors isnt it.
First off fix the air cleaner hose.
The filter is important. It creates a restriction so the vacuum from the piston can pull in the Fuel.
Removing the restriction can cause these kinds of issues, which a cracked hose will do.
Its a vacuum leak and needs to be fixed first.
Be carefull with the Seafoam. It can ruin anything thats rubber when used full strength.
I used it to soak a choke plunger and the rubber swelled up like a marshmellow over a camp fire.
I Rebuild carburetors for a Living..
Fix the vacuum leak first. Use seafoam only per Instructions.
Contact me via info found on my Website if you need any further Help...  Joe

Motorcycle Repair

william joseph stack

I specialize in Virago carburetors. Internal parts sizes, Needle and jet sizes for each and every year and model. Hitachi and Mikuni. I also can give tech support and Tech Support for carburetor problems and issues. Carburetor tuning and syncronization. Carbburetor rejetting and dynojet installations for engine modifications. I know every needle and jet size for every Virago made. I have done over50 Virago carb Salesand Rebuilds in 2012. I have over 50 sets ofVirago carbs in stockright now. I Build, Ride and Breath Virago. I have both the 1983 Midnight Virago's. The XV750MK and the XV920MK. 1 of my 1981 XV750H is is Premier Cycles, Billy Joel's Bike Museum.... I am an Honest and Fair man. I am also a Finicky Perfectionist withmy carb work. Ihave all the obsolete hardto find carb parts. I have new diaphragms, new floats, I have the float level setting down to an art. I have fabricated transparent bowls for both version 1 and version 2 carburetors.

9 years on Ebay with 100% feedback. My own website: that has some awesome testimonials ans feedbacks...

Organizations Forum

Ebay., Feedbacks from satisfied customers.

Over30 years expierence in Carburetor rebuilding and motorcycle and car repair andmechanics. I have certifications in HVAC, Welding. I have over 20 years in Building maintenance and repairs. Over 20 years in aSuperior position. I am a Licensed California general B Contractor. But I have settled on my Virago Carb Business...

Clients and customers found in my Ebay Store History. DRVIRAGO777 VIRAGO CARBURETORS.