Motorcycle Repair/1980 Honda CB 650 stator or rotor

Question
Hi, Bill, I was just reading your response to a question about replacing the stator on a 1980 Honda CB 650, and you mentioned that stators rarely went bad in this model, but it was often the rotor. Now, I know your not referring to a brake rotor, but are there other names for the rotor your referring to? Is it the same as a flywheel rotor or a charging rotor. I've seen pictures of rotors by both names and they look the same. Please clarify for me.

Thanks, for your time,
Jeff

Answer
Jeff, while you can apply the term "rotor" to a number of pieces on the motorcycle, when discussing the charging system there is only one "rotor" to reference.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb650-1980-usa_model7223/rotor-comp_31110426832/#.Ve2

Honda has evolved their charging systems over the years...  First ones had permanent magnet rotors, then the SOHC fours had rotors that were charged by a brushless field coil that pulsed magnetism on and off as necessary. The DOHC fours and CBX models had these wire-wound rotors which were controlled by carbon brushes, like those of many automotive alternators.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver