Motorcycle Repair/1980 Honda CB 650 stator or rotor

Hi, Bill, I was just reading your response to a question about replacing the stator on a 1980 Honda CB 650, and you mentioned that stators rarely went bad in this model, but it was often the rotor. Now, I know your not referring to a brake rotor, but are there other names for the rotor your referring to? Is it the same as a flywheel rotor or a charging rotor. I've seen pictures of rotors by both names and they look the same. Please clarify for me.

Thanks, for your time,

Jeff, while you can apply the term "rotor" to a number of pieces on the motorcycle, when discussing the charging system there is only one "rotor" to reference.

Honda has evolved their charging systems over the years...  First ones had permanent magnet rotors, then the SOHC fours had rotors that were charged by a brushless field coil that pulsed magnetism on and off as necessary. The DOHC fours and CBX models had these wire-wound rotors which were controlled by carbon brushes, like those of many automotive alternators.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.