Motorcycle Repair/LARGE OIL SPILL ON MY GARAGE FLOOR !

Question
Hi Mike
I own a 1985 H~D Electra Glide Classic
I keep my bike on a battery tender all the time. I hadn't ridden my bike for about 5 wks. due to
the burning heat here in Vegas.

Yesterday, I figure I at least start her up. On the second crank she started no problem. Had the bike
parked in my garage when I started is. I shut the engine and looked down on the floor and there
low and behold was a nice BIG PUDDLE OF OIL ! ! !

Today, I put a pan under the bike just in case she through out some more oil. I hit the starter button and she stared right up with NO OIL SPILL !!!
What's going on Mike ?

GOD bless you and yours
Ray M.

Answer
Don't panic! Here is what is happening. Your oil tank sits higher than the motor. You have a check valve in the oil pump to stop the oil. What happens is oil weeps past the check valve and goes into the bottom end of the motor. You start the bike and the oil cant be pumped back to the tank fast enough, so it goes out the vent. It doesn't hurt the motor any, its just a pain! If you were start your bike on a regular basis, you probably wouldn't have the problem. The only fix is to check the ball in the oil pump and see if there is any dirt on it or any carbon. You can replace the ball and spring and that might fix it.
Good luck and happy riding
Mike

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells