Motorcycle Repair/unridden cbx

I have a 1979 CBX with 8,960.8 miles. It has not been ridden since 1995 and not run since around 2000. It is bone stock except for a throttle cruise control. It has always been inside and under a quality cover. I know the tank and carbs will need to be done before I would even try to start it. It doesn't roll well because the brake pistons no longer retract. Plus I have read that the vacuum fuel valve could fail at some point. The bike is superb otherwise
I am trying to decide whether to:
1)have all this repaired and keep it
2)have all this repaired and sell it
3)sell it as it is

My questions are:
1)How much would it cost to get these repairs done and who      would do it?
2)If I choose to sell it, would it be more desirable as a never touched CBX or as a perfectly running CBX?
3)What is more in demand, the perseus silver or the candy glory red?
4)Do you have a general idea of a selling price for as it is as opposed to perfectly running?

Thank you for taking your time to supply this service for all CBX owners,

Hi Marc,
Yes the bike will need fettling, most shops now don't have anybody with expertise to work on a CBX but realistically all that needs to be done is pretty straightforward, except the carbs.  Brakes will need an overhaul, fuel will all need to be removed and the carbs will undoubtedly need cleaning, unless they were drained when the bike was put away.  The '79 does not have a vacuum valve unless one was retrofitted. The bike as-is condition and originality will determine the price, if it has no corrosion, is really bone-stock and in good cosmetic condition I would estimate the price around $12,000.  If you get the bike fettled and running properly the bike should fetch $15,000 or higher.  Candy glory red always seems to sell better.  Good CBX's are getting harder to find, and the value has been steadily climbing.

Good luck with the bike, and don't forget the online resources and clubs like the ICOA to help you with the restoration should you decide to bring the bike back to life.

Motorcycle Repair

Jan Ringnalda

PLEASE NOTE: PLEASE READ THIS!!! I can help with questions ONLY on any Honda CBX-1000 motorcycle, only 1978 to 1982. OR 1981 to 1983 Honda CB1100R models ONLY Honda CBX/CB1100R motorcycles, Please NO other makes, no other models. IF YOUR QUESTION IS FOR ANY OTHER BIKE Your question MAY BE FORWARDED TO THE QUESTION POOL WHERE IT MAY NEVER BE ANSWERED. IF I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION, and you feel the need to give me marks lower than 10, first post a follow up question. If you mark me lower, I will respond and you run the risk I will never, ever, answer one of your questions again. I'm doing this free of charge, as a service to fellow motorcyclists. If you do not value my time, I do...

Have owned over 50 of these fine classic Honda motorcycles

International CBX Owners Association, SAE, Materials Research Society

CBXPress, VLMC magazine, Used Bike Guide

PhD in Materials Science, Post-Doc in prototyping automotive components