Motorcycle Repair/1963 c105 honda trail 55

It's stuck in 3rd gear. It was running fine and then it sat in the garage for a bit and now seems to be stuck in 3rd gear

Julian, what is "for a bit" ?  Over long periods of time the clutch plates can "stick" together, so that it won't disengage when you are riding it..

With the bike on the centerstand try rocking the back wheel back and forth while you work the shifter lever up and down. We'll assume that the bike hasn't crashed or fallen over and bent the shift lever/spindle end that would lock it in gear.

Worst case scenario is that you would have to remove the clutch cover and peer into the shift mechanism to see if something is binding, bent or jammed with the shift selector parts and/or the shift drum itself.

You should be able to rotate the shift drum with a screwdriver on the shift drum screw inside or you can look underneath the countershaft cover and use the 10mm sized bolt head to turn the drum. If the drum has seized, then you will have to tear it all down to see if a shift fork is bent or something else has caused this issue.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.