Motorcycle Repair/dream oil filter drive nut

Question
Hi Bill, How tight should the nut be, that controls the tension on the sprocket that drives the Honda dream oil filter? thank you so much! Frank De Marco

Answer
Frank, the nut must be tightened sufficiently enough to basically flatten out the conical washer that holds the sprocket in place. After a deep search into Honda's shop manuals, I was unable to find a spec on the nut torque.
Personally, I just tighten them down as hard as I can by hand, either using the 4 prong special tool for the nut or a dull-edged chisel and hammer. You can tighten it down firmly, then mark the nut/shaft with a marker and then keep tightening it until it ceases to move on the threads.
If you are a stickler for torque values, then measure the OD of the crankshaft threads and look up the torque charts on line for suggested specifications. It is a fine thread nut, so takes quite a lot of torque to secure everything properly.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver