Motorcycle Repair/Honda CM400T 1980

I need to know what chain and sprocket to buy to put on my Honda.  I keep finding different answers for what I should buy.  I need to know if it really matters what sizes I choose.  Ex. I have been told to get a 530X102 chain with a 16 tooth and 35 tooth sprocket, buy I have been also told other sizes.

Hello Melissa,

Standard chain-sprocket configuration, is what you mention (530/102 with 16-35 sprockets).

Due to the low power output of your bike though, 530 size is an overkill.
You can safely downgrade to 525 or even heavy-duty 520.

As for the sprocket teeth, it depends on the way you ride.
Stay with the STD 16-35 for economy, or go for a "shorter" 16-38 for better acceleration.

Personally, I would go for a 525 pitch, 16 - 37 sprocket, 104-link chain, configuration.

Best Regards,

Motorcycle Repair

Lazaros Ampatzidis

I can help you on EVERY issue involving POST-1980 Japanese Motorcycles plus KTM and Husaberg. My field of expertise includes Engine, Transmission, Fuel system (carburation & EFI),Electrics and Electronics. Maintenance, repair and tuning. Road and off-road suspension tuning. Please don't ask me about non-Japanese Motorcycle, especially American built on which I have low to zero experience.

I'm a rider and hobbyist since childhood. 25 years motorcycle workshop mechanic.15 years motorcycle racing mechanic. In order of experience high to low:Kawasaki,Suzuki,Honda,Yamaha,KTM,Husaberg.

Hellenic (Greek) Technical School.Internal Combustion Engines Engineer. Automotive Electronics.