Motorcycle Repair/1981 Yamaha XT250

Question
I have a 1981 Yamaha XT250 with 1200 original miles. The bike is immaculate. If I squirt starting fluid into the spark plug hole it will start right up and purr like a kitten and run all day. Once it is shut off it will not start whether hot or cold with out starting fluid. I had the carb rebuilt with an NOS kit, new plug specified in the manual and fresh premium gas. Why won't this bike start with out starting fluid..

Answer
Hello Dan,

Assuming the carb is properly tuned, try closing the spark-plug gap to 0.5mm.
If this works, then your problem my friend is, weak ignition.

It can be due to defective main switch, kill-switch and/or spark-plug cap.

Ignition coil at the stator is also prone to malfunction on this bike, but yours has very low mileage.

If the above don't help, turn mixture screw one turn out, and try again.

Get back to me to let me know how it went.

Best regards,
Lazaros.

P.S. Have you checked compression pressure?

Motorcycle Repair

Lazaros Ampatzidis