Motorcycle Repair/1982 CBX

QUESTION: Good day,

Tell me if you heard this one before...

I have a CBX that I started to restore a while back and I need help. I am in the military and had friends with knowledge when we started this project but as always we got based at different places. Now I have a bike that still needs to be put back together and am wondering if there is anyone in the Columbus, OH area that has the requisite knowledge or guidance to help.

Thank you for your time and any assistance or direction is much appreciated.

ANSWER: I'm in Johnstown, Ohio.  Where in Cbus are you?  How far was it taken apart?

QUESTION: Gahanna (east of Columbus). Frame was powder coated by itself (totally disassembled), engine is on an engine stand with transmission, carbs redone and wrapped up. Head taken off. Physically speaking the bike is back together enough that it looks like it just needs to have engine installed and drive away.

I know this is a bit rambling but not certain where to start in answering your question. I could probably send pictures.

So you need the engine putting back together, and putting back into the frame?

What is your budget for getting this done, or do you want to do this yourself?  Do you have the manual?  Not many people in Columbus with knowledge about the CBX...  Jim Zemanek in Cincinatti may be the best option if you want to get it done.  I do not have time for an extra project right now.

Motorcycle Repair

Jan Ringnalda

PLEASE NOTE: PLEASE READ THIS!!! I can help with questions ONLY on any Honda CBX-1000 motorcycle, only 1978 to 1982. OR 1981 to 1983 Honda CB1100R models ONLY Honda CBX/CB1100R motorcycles, Please NO other makes, no other models. IF YOUR QUESTION IS FOR ANY OTHER BIKE Your question MAY BE FORWARDED TO THE QUESTION POOL WHERE IT MAY NEVER BE ANSWERED. IF I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION, and you feel the need to give me marks lower than 10, first post a follow up question. If you mark me lower, I will respond and you run the risk I will never, ever, answer one of your questions again. I'm doing this free of charge, as a service to fellow motorcyclists. If you do not value my time, I do...

Have owned over 50 of these fine classic Honda motorcycles

International CBX Owners Association, SAE, Materials Research Society

CBXPress, VLMC magazine, Used Bike Guide

PhD in Materials Science, Post-Doc in prototyping automotive components