Motorcycle Repair/250/305 Hondas

Mr. Silver,
My first real motorcycle was an aluminum fendered CL-72 back in 1967.  I rode out of Cooper's Cycle Ranch in Trenton NJ.  This guy came into the shop one day with a CL-77 with 12 to 1 pistons, big carbs and a Harmon & Collins roller cam.  Man that thing was FAST!  My question is: What happened to H&C and would anybody be willing to make the cams and rockers again?  Thanks.

Phil, The H in H&C was Kenny Harmon, who ended his days down here in San Diego, back about 1978. Their products were offered through WEBCO, along with other high-performance products for 250-305s, including their 350cc big bore kit with the L shaped Dykes top piston rings.

The main resource for vintage camshaft regrinds is Megacycle in NoCal. They can hard-face the stock rocker arms and grind up some wicked camshaft profiles, including the ones that Pops Yoshimura used back in the 1960s. I don't know what happened to the masters for H&C cams after Kenny passed away. The cast roller rockers were problematical in how they were made and often found with cracks around where the roller pin ends were installed in the rocker arm.

There are good cam grinds out now that would be close to a match for the roller rocker items, but I can't see anyone reproducing the whole setup these days. I did overhaul one of those motors last year and it was interesting to see how they modified the engine's internals to make it all fit inside.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.