Motorcycle Repair/75 FXE Shovel start button

Question
I have a '75 FXE Superglide and can't get the starter button to crank the motor. It did work before I took it on it's maiden 2016 ride. Halfway home, after getting gas, it wouldn't crank the motor. Pushed it to get it started and ran for over 2 hours to get home. I can jump the terminals on the relay and the bike starts and runs for hours. I can jump the terminals on the solenoid and it does the same, starts and runs. I did a continuity check on the button and the on/off switch and I have continuity through both and continuity through the wires to the small terminal on the relay. Since the bike would crank, start and run by crossing the terminals on the relay, and I had continuity through the starter button and wires to the relay, I figured the relay was bad. Replaced it with a new one and still have the same problem. I do have voltage going to the relay through the starter button. I did read on the internet today something about maybe a ground isn't working. Any ideas on what and where this needs to be grounded? Any other ideas????

Answer
first thing I would do is check to make sure you have 12 volts going to the starter button and 12 volts going to the starter relay. If you are using the electronic relay then it has a ground wire so check that. Also check the connection to make sure it's not corroded. Lastly, when pushing the starter button, make sure you have 12 volts going to the starter solenoid and then to the starter. Let me know what you find

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells