Motorcycle Repair/82 magma vf750c

i am haveing trouble with the throttle. i have cleaned and redid the carbs and did the jet set and bench sync, i checked the sparkplugs i had the gas tank and aux tank cleaned out. i blew out the gas lines and checked the fuel filter, i reinstalled the carbs on the bike and i am still haveing the same problem where when the bike is started it will iddle but when i go to accelurate it dies right away. i have checked the needle level and made sure it was 2 3/4 turns out and i checked the the bowl for gas and the 4th carb dosent have any. i then checked the fuel pump and it is working right...

i am at a loss as what to do next

Bruce, you have to fix the fuel feed problem to #4 first. If you didn't disassemble the carb rack completely (I know its a PIA), then you probably have some clog floating around on the way to #4 carburetor.

Check these pages for more specific information..

The fuel pump relay only kicks on for a few seconds when you turn the ignition switch to ON. It doesn't keep running, so you may not have had enough time to fill the bowl, but it should normally be filled within a couple of minutes of startup, even on 3 cylinders.

If you have made any changes to the air filter system or the exhaust system, the carb jetting is probably out of spec now.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.