Motorcycle Repair/Honda 600 VLX carburator

upon start up this season my wife's VLX started spewing gasoline from what I can only assume is an overflow hose. This is a guess as I cannot imagine an overflow would dump onto the exhaust system. I have tried draining the carb (multiple times) in hopes of resetting the float, to no avail. Do you have any suggestions?

Hello Ken,

It depends on for how long the bike's been sitting...

Try this: turn off the fuel and start the engine until it runs out and stall.
Turn fuel back on and restart the engine. If it starts leaking, turn off the fuel again and lightly rev the engine.
Don't let it stall, but, control the overflow by turning fuel on and off.

If the engine get properly warmed-up and still the carburettors overflow, then you'll have to take them apart.

Avoid doing so though, if you don't have the service manual.

Should you decide to proceed and need my assistance, get back to me, but let me know the exact model of the bike (by VIN number).

Best Regards,

Motorcycle Repair

Lazaros Ampatzidis

I can help you on EVERY issue involving POST-1980 Japanese Motorcycles plus KTM and Husaberg. My field of expertise includes Engine, Transmission, Fuel system (carburation & EFI),Electrics and Electronics. Maintenance, repair and tuning. Road and off-road suspension tuning. Please don't ask me about non-Japanese Motorcycle, especially American built on which I have low to zero experience.

I'm a rider and hobbyist since childhood. 25 years motorcycle workshop mechanic.15 years motorcycle racing mechanic. In order of experience high to low:Kawasaki,Suzuki,Honda,Yamaha,KTM,Husaberg.

Hellenic (Greek) Technical School.Internal Combustion Engines Engineer. Automotive Electronics.