Motorcycle Repair/headlight stays on

Why would the headlight stay on all the time, even after I shut it off and lock the steering? I have to undo the battery to get it to go off.

As per my profile, my area of expertise is 1968 through 1977 Suzuki 2 stroke machines - and more specifically the GT750 and T500 machines. I do not deal with anything newer, and I do not answer questions on other brands.

If your machine is one of the bikes I do deal with, then the most probable cause (assuming the wiring hasn't been modified) is a faulty ignition switch.  

Motorcycle Repair

Ian R. Sandy

I can answer restoration questions specifically about the Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo/Kettle/Water Bottle which was made between 1972 and 1977. I may also be able to assist with some restoration questions on the Suzuki T500 made between 1968 and 1977. I will not answer questions about other makes or models. I focus on restorations - I not especially interested in 'non-stock' restorations or rebuilds.

I wrote the on-line reference manual on the Suzuki GT750 called 'A Field Guide to the Suzuki GT750 Le Mans' which is available at no charge on line. I currently own six Suzuki GT750's - a 1972 (scheduled to be restored in 2013), a 1973, a 1975, two 1976 models and a 1977. I also operate and maintain the on-line reference site 'Suzuki T/GT Resources' as well as the Old Japanese Bikes web site.

I am a member of the VJMC, the AMCA and of the CVMG.

'A Field Guide to the Suzuki GT750 Le Mans' 'Notes from the Corner' - the OJB blog 'The Suzuki T/GT Resource Pages'

Graduate of Sheridan College in Instrumentation Technology, which is interesting but not really germane to this discussion - I owned my first GT750 new in 1974 and have owned and ridden at least one now for very nearly 40 years.

My 1973 GT750 was featured as the 'March' bike in the recent CVMG-RMS section calendar.

I am the web-admin for the CVMG, and also for the CVMG-RMS section. I am also a moderator on the Sundial 2 stroke board.