Motorcycle Repair/Honda Trail 70

Hi Bill

I need a owners repair manual for my trail 70, but my question is how to put my throttle back on my motorcycle {the outer casing} and trouble shoot why it wont kisck start i have spark to my spark plug and gas good oil. Im fearful that it might be that someone has put a lawnmower carb on it.

Chasity, you didn't give the year/model of the CT70 which has been in production for over 40 years. I will assume you have the early style with the slide type throttle housing...

Once the cable is installed in the handlebar and connected to the anchor and the cable hinge, then you have to turn the outer throttle drum inwards to catch the internal threads with the slot in the sliding hinge unit. Once you have them threaded together, then you have have to install the small screw at the bottom to keep it from coming off the bars.

Without seeing your carburetor I don't know what you have on the bike.

Most Mini-Trails I have come in contact with have:
*Tight valves... no one remembers to adjust valves to .002" on compression stroke
*Ignition timing is retarded due to the points rubbing block wearing down. You have to remove the left dyno cover to look through the holes in the flywheel to see the points. Watch them carefully and observe that they OPEN just as the F mark on the flywheel aligns with the mark on the engine case (12 o'clock)
*Carburetor idle jet is plugged up... you have to remove the carburetor and pull the jet out for cleaning the tiny hole inside.   #18

I hope that covers your questions. Please be sure to give all the year/model info in the future for questions like this please. Photos are welcome, as well.

Bill Silver  

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.