Motorcycle Repair/1974 XL 350 SERVICE BULLETIN-MODIFING IGNITION TIMING

Question
1967 SUPER HAWK
1967 SUPER HAWK  

1965 SUPERHAWK CAFE BIKE
1965 SUPERHAWK CAFE BI  
I'M TRYING TO LOCATE INFORMATION ABOUT TIMING MARK ALTERATIONS AND REPLACEMENT SPARK ADVANCE ASSEMBLIES(ALONG WITH NEW IGNITION TIMING INFORMATION LABELS PLACED IN THE POINTS COVER AND INSERTED PAGES IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL ON PAGE 39). WITH FRAME # 1016455, HONDA REVISED THESE ENGINE PARTS ALONG WITH PARTS RELATED TO THE KICKSTARTER/OIL PUMP SYSTEM AND LOWER CRANKCASE.  I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANY ANSWERESON THE VARIOUS XL FORUMS. DID HONDA ISSUE A SERVICE BULLITEN ABOUT THESE IGNITION CHANGES AND WHY WERE THESE MODIFICATIONS MADE. I STILL HAVE MY HONDA SUPER HAWK I BOUGHT NEW IN THE CRATE IN AUG. OF 1967 AND A BARN FIND MY WOODSHOP STUDENTS AND BUILT INTO A CAFE BIKE.

Answer
Mark, good job on hanging onto the CB77 for all these years and giving it sharp upgrade.

My little Honda tune-up  book mentions that the original spark timing was 15 degrees BTDC, reduced to 5 degrees after modifications, which makes the engine a lot easier to kick start. The spark advancer was probably changed to re-curve the whole spark timing profile.

I actually worked on one of these things last year and found the rotor re-stamped with a new F mark at 5 degrees.

http://www.oldrice.com/XL350K1HPC.pdf   shows engine/chassis part number changes if you sift through the parts book.

While I don't usually focus on the dirt bike models, I have found misc shop tip/service bulletins on them from time to time. I don't see anything in my records of an actual service bulletin number though.
You could try calling AHMC in LA to see if anyone in the parts/service departments can dig out the bulletin info.

FYI///

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/STK-205.html

Bill Silver  

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver