Motorcycle Repair/2001 suzuki intruder 1500 VL

Question
Dear Sir,Ive had to put two batterys on my bike in the last twelve months.The last time i found i had a dead battery i took the bike to the dealer thinking they would be my best bet,my bill was close to six hundred dollars.(not to mention the 4 week waiting line) After taking the bike out three or four short rides i stoped for fuel and again my battery was not only dead but where my cables conect to the battery both battery posts had melted,positive side more than the negative.I did hit the starter button a few times only to get clicks,and i couldent push start it either.What can you recamend i do to repair this problem without the dealer this time ???
         Thanks Chris

Answer
Dear Chris,

The first thing I would advice you to do is, go back to the dealer and demand to know what they found, what they did to fix it and apparently what went wrong.
You have the right, they have the obligation and responsibility.

Nevertheless, I've never experienced melted battery terminals, but I guess it could be due to loose connection, or, a "sticking" starter relay.

Apart from that, there are several reasons for your battery to die out.
Low alternator output, regulator/rectifier malfunctioning, bad ground, current leak, to name the most common.

If you insist on taking the situation in your own hands, make sure you have a reliable multimeter and a good battery available and get back to me for detailed troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Lazaros.  

Motorcycle Repair

Lazaros Ampatzidis