Motorcycle Repair/engine problem

Question
QUESTION: Virago xv750 I think 1995  - Last year, engine was flooded because gas valve failed letting unlimited gas flow into engine.   This year I fixed the gas valve and emptied the oil and appears to be gasoline in the oil, so I replaced it.  I also flushed out the gas tank, because it smelled like paint thinner.  Then started bike and runs okay at low idle.  Considerable amount of smoke coming out of tailpipe from front cylinder.  By smell, I think it is burning oil.  Appears to be enough oil coming out of that pipe that is burning out through every possible leak point in that pipe.  I cannot tell the color of the smoke.  I vaguely understand this to mean that there is a ring seal in the cylinder that needs to be replaced, but I don't know where or how major a deal this is?

ANSWER: Hello Keith,

You have to give the engine some time to clean-up from the gasoline that entered the crankcase.

Run it in fast idle till fully warmed-up, turn it off and remove engine oil and oil filter.
Leave the drain plug removed for at least half an hour to allow as much of the contaminated oil to come out.

Install a new oil filter and fresh engine oil (do NOT overfill, keep it below upper level), run the engine and if it still smokes, pay your local workshop a visit, or, get back to me with results.

Bare in mind that it could be smoking due to clogged carburettors or choke plugs stuck open.

Best of luck.
Lazaros.  

QUESTION: thank you, thank you, thank you... it has actually been more like 1.5 years since I rode because I was convinced there was probably something major wrong with the engine, but there isn't.  I'm riding again, looks good on all functions.  Thanks!

Answer
Hello Keith,

I was almost sure it was nothing serious and it's good to hear so.

You are very welcome and thank you for keeping me posted.

Please, take the time to rate my answer.

Best Regards,
Lazaros.

P.S. Disregard last paragraph, you've already rated the answer.
Thanks.  

Motorcycle Repair

Lazaros Ampatzidis