Motorcycle Repair/lubrication question

Have an 86 vt 1100 shadow, advice in regards to lubricating steering bearings, and swing arm? are grease fittings present?
Thanks, Frank

for tapered swingarm bearings. You need the special hex tool to remove the outer four bolts. Don't forget to check the drive shaft joints, too.

for tapered steering head bearings.

There is no external grease fittings on these bearings. They must be removed, cleaned and inspected for wear, then regreased and reinstalled once again.

Lots of forums out there for additional specific help

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.