Motorcycle Repair/CB77 footpeg rivet

Question
I would like to replate the foot pegs on my Honda CB77 but to do it properly I would need to remove the pivot rivet before plating. That is easily enough done but I haven't been able to find a source of tubular rivets with flat heads and I don't know the size of the hole in which it fits. So, my questions are: 1) What diameter is the rivet and 2) where would one buy a pair of them and the tool to set them?

Answer
Tim, I have never disassembled a CB77 footpeg. Some platers can work around a riveted part and some prefer to do individual parts. I think if you search "steel rivets" in the size that is determined when you remove the old ones, you should be able to come up with something that is satisfactory. A local steel fabrication shop can probably help you "set" the rivets if it is a solid one. Or a machine shop might be able to do the same in a press. I would go for a hollow rivet, but you might have to dig around for ones with that sized head and the matching shaft diameter. These are not considered serviceable parts so Honda never offered any repair options for them.

Maybe you should pick up a spare damaged footpeg from eBay or elsewhere and take it apart to see what is really there to work with. Another option would be to have a machine shop make two of them to match the originals from bar stock.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver