Motorcycle Repair/drive chain slack variation

Question
Hi Bill, When I spin my wheel on my ca77,the slack varies from too tight to too loose.I put a dial indicator on the rear of the rear sprocket(with the chain still on the bike) and I find that the chain is the tightest when the indicator is at its highest point.(this makes sense).But the variation is only .020. Would .020 run out cause this much variation in adjustability? Any suggestions? Thanks Again! Frank

Answer
Frank, with the small amount of runout on the sprocket the only possibility is that the chain is worn out. Grab the chain in the middle of the arc of the sprocket and pull up. If it lifts off of the sprocket, then the chain links are stretched and it needs to be replaced.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver