Motorcycle Repair/drive chain slack variation

Hi Bill, When I spin my wheel on my ca77,the slack varies from too tight to too loose.I put a dial indicator on the rear of the rear sprocket(with the chain still on the bike) and I find that the chain is the tightest when the indicator is at its highest point.(this makes sense).But the variation is only .020. Would .020 run out cause this much variation in adjustability? Any suggestions? Thanks Again! Frank

Frank, with the small amount of runout on the sprocket the only possibility is that the chain is worn out. Grab the chain in the middle of the arc of the sprocket and pull up. If it lifts off of the sprocket, then the chain links are stretched and it needs to be replaced.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.