Motorcycle Repair/Honda Shadow valve cover seal

QUESTION: I'm trying to replace the seal on my 1996 Honda Shadow VT600CD valve cover because of a small leak. I've removed everything surrounding the engine including the seat, gas tank, spark plugs, air box, and carburetor but I still don't have enough clearance to completely remove the valve cover. Please advise.

ANSWER: Hello Mario,

You will have to drain the cooling system and remove the hose and pipe that goes to the cylinder head.
Then you'll be able to move the cover towards the center of the engine and remove it.

Best regards,

Engine Head
Engine Head  
QUESTION: Thanks for the reply Lazaros. I've already removed said hose and pipe but the valve cover still isn't clear. The frame itself seems to be too close to completely lift the cover off and forward. Is there some technique involved with removing it? I don't think there are any more parts I can take off to clear it other than pulling the entire engine out.

Dear Mario,

Sorry for the delayed respond. I was out of town...

As I can see in the picture, you still have to pull the main harness aside, remove the exhaust valve cover and turn the crankshaft counter-clockwise until the exhaust valve is fully open.
Also make sure that the gasket isn't attached to the cover.

Then lift the rear side of the cover and slide it towards the front.
If it still hits the frame before clearing of the camshaft and rocker arms, then I'm afraid something is wrong with your bike.

I only once experienced similar problem and it proved that the engine was misaligned on the frame due to a minor crash.
I really hope that's not the case with yours.

Best of luck.

Motorcycle Repair

Lazaros Ampatzidis

I can help you on EVERY issue involving POST-1980 Japanese Motorcycles plus KTM and Husaberg. My field of expertise includes Engine, Transmission, Fuel system (carburation & EFI),Electrics and Electronics. Maintenance, repair and tuning. Road and off-road suspension tuning. Please don't ask me about non-Japanese Motorcycle, especially American built on which I have low to zero experience.

I'm a rider and hobbyist since childhood. 25 years motorcycle workshop mechanic.15 years motorcycle racing mechanic. In order of experience high to low:Kawasaki,Suzuki,Honda,Yamaha,KTM,Husaberg.

Hellenic (Greek) Technical School.Internal Combustion Engines Engineer. Automotive Electronics.