Motorcycle Repair/kickstarter

Question
Hi Bill, I started my ca77 with the electric starter and my kick start lever goes down, after I shut off the engine I can pick it back up into position again and it will stay.I removed the side cover and my spring looks fine. Can you help? Your thoughts? Ps This bike has 1700 original miles on it and has nt been started in 1 year. Thanks so much! Frank

Answer
Frank, drooping kickstarter arms generally come from three reasons:

1. When the kickstarter cover was installed, the preload on the spring was insufficient wound on so there isn't enough spring tension to return the lever to the upright position. You have to wind it up about one turn in the correct direction that tightens up the spring coil before placing the cover back on. The k/s arm should be about 11 o'clock position when fully returned under pressure.

2. The kickstarter arm knuckle which fits over the end of the k/s shaft splines is split. This allows the k/s arm to skip over the splines when the k/s lever is used to start the bike.

3. There is damage to the k/s shaft splines and/or the female splines inside the knuckle.

Bill Silver  

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver