Motorcycle Repair/1985 vt700 Honda shadow, Help!

Hi Bill,  I have a 1985 VT700 Honda shadow, runs great for a few miles then I lose the back cylinder and the tachometer at the same time sometimes it will kick back on then sometimes it won't. I have a 1986 parts bike and I have changed CDI boxes, coils, and the tach and it still kicks off. I can still get home on one cylinder. The next day it will start out great then here we go again. Going nuts I need back into the wind please help I'm out of things to try. Thank you Delmar

Delmar, Sounds like a heat-related failure. Do check all of your electrical connectors for the ignition and charging system. Sounds like you replaced all the external components, so time to buy a flywheel puller, gasket and change out the pulse generator coils.  #3. 6 and 20.

Bill Silver  

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.