Motorcycle Repair/85 Yamaha 700 xj maxim

Question
I just bought this.
I installed a brand new battery(after adding the acid, and letting it charge to  the instructions..10hrs)
Q: runs OK till the bike gets hot, the it spits and sputtered. What or how can I fix this problem...
Please help...thank you

Answer
Hello Danny,

Sounds like overcharging. You have to measure charging voltage.

To do that, you need a multitester, set to DC-Volts, at, at least 20v range. Connect the tester's red (+) probe to battery's plus (+) terminal and black (-) probe to battery's ground.
Start the engine and rev it up to 5000rpm.

If the voltage is more than 14,7v, your bike's Regulator-Rectifier (Part number:3G181960A1)
has to be replaced.

If you need more detailed instructions, don't hesitate to get back to me.

Best Regards,
Lazaros.  

Motorcycle Repair

Lazaros Ampatzidis