Motorcycle Repair/Weak spark on 2 and 3

Question
Hello, I am restoring a 1976 honda cb750, yesterday was just adjusting carburators, went for a little test ride, came back and bike shut off suddenly. Checked with spark tester and 1 and 4 are strong, but 2 and 3 are weak, almost no spark. checked coils and both give from 1.1 to 0.9 ohms. Motorcycle was running strong before it died, what can be the problem?

Answer
Judas, a 1976 Honda CB750 came with a points and condenser ignition system. The coils for that type of ignition require 4.5 ohm coils. The coils you describe are for electronic ignition systems, which use a much lower coil impedance rating value. Points and condenser ignitions draw a lot of current through the coils, so low resistance versions will usually overheat and die.

http://www.hondachopper.com/garage/troubleshooting_charging_system/troubleshooti

http://blacksquaremotorcycle.com/ignition-coils-test/  scroll to the bottom of the page for the primary coil test readings. All the SOHC Fours have similar coil types. DO check the resistance of the spark plug caps as they can fail over time. Should be 5k ohms from one side of the cap through the other side.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver