Motorcycle Repair/GT750 Crank seals

Question
I have a Kettle that runs great but burns transmission oil faster than the fuel in my tank and smokes from the right side exhaust. From the research I have done sounds like I need crank seals. How much can I expect to pay to have this job completed and what should I look for in a good mechanic for the job?

Answer
Yes - you do need crank seals. The failure mode you describe is a classic example of this problem.

Costs vary widely and are obviously completely dependant on the over all condition of the crankshaft components which can not be determined until it is completely apart. If all you need are the seals then Bill Bune Enterprises in Minnesota is well known in the USA for doing this sort of work and the cost would be less than $400 in USD.

With the exception of one bearing, all the other components are still available from Suzuki (seals, connecting rods, big end bearings and crankshaft bearings). If you use Bill Bune, then they will advise what crankshaft components you will need to provide them with.

Suzuki can still supply water pumps (but not the impeller), pistons, rings, small end bearings and gudgeon pins. As well you can buy piston kits from third parties but some are better than others. You will also want to replace the plastic water pump gear which is not available from Suzuki in the USA, but is sold by Suzuki in most other countries (including Canada where I live). Gasket sets are available from many places - I normally use the ones sold by CruzingImage on eBay.

If you are paying someone else to do the repair work (disassembly and assembly), then you want to try and deal with a mechanic that is familiar with 2 stroke engines - a good source could be a larger snowmobile shop if an actual motorcycle shop able to do this work is not available in your area.

Hope that helps !  

Motorcycle Repair

Ian R. Sandy