Motorcycle Repair/Hard starting Harley

QUESTION: Hi mike I have a 84 fxrs that is hard 2 start if it's been sitting for a couple of weeks when it does start it on 1 cylinder for 5-6 secs seems 2 be getting worse has fresh fuel,battery's on tender ,any advice greatly appreciated...Andy.

ANSWER: Pull your plugs and let me know what color they are ? Also, look down the throat of the carb and twist the throttle, are you getting a shot of gas?

QUESTION: Both plug sweet lightly tanned, carb is a super e it's getting gas but not in a straight stream looks to be a bit fanned like it's deflecting of something, I think it used to squirt straight from memory..andy

It sounds like its getting fuel. Your gas should be in a fan pattern. I would suspect eith a weak battery or a weak coil. Either one would cause hard starting. You can have the battery tested for cranking amps, or if its really old replace it. You can test the coil as well.

Motorcycle Repair

Mike Wells

PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION!!! I CAN ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT HARLEYS !!! I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OTHER MODELS!!! IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ABOUT A NON HARLEY BIKE IT WILL GET REJECTED!!!I have a Harley only shop with 30 years experience located in Ohio. We specialize in complete and total repair, restoration, hi-performance, and custom bike building. I can work on Flat Heads to Twin Cams. Please, dont ask how much somthing is going to cost to fix. Labor prices differ all over te country as well as shop to shop!

If its broke on a harley we can repair it. We do complete restoration from the frame up, engine and trans rebuilding, remapping and custom bike building

School of hard knocks!