Motorcycle Repair/spark

I have a 1973 Honda xl250
The kill switch/head light controls went bad
Unhooked all Wier's at this point just hanging
I hook my tester up to the coil and ground the tester!!!
(Lights up shows good strong light)
Now when I hook up the plug it does not spark at all
Iv changed out 10 plugs new plugs no spark
Any idea why the tester shows spark but the plug will not spark???????

Sorry for the delay...  your message rolled off my email screen and I just found it again.

I would check the spark plug cap for 5k ohms or less resistance values. If you are getting a good strong spark on your coil tester the spark plug cap is all that is left unless the wire is leaking voltage somewhere along the line.

Bill Silver

Motorcycle Repair

Bill Silver

Need help with vintage Hondas from the 1960s? I am an expert with 250-305cc bikes in particular and most all of the other pre-91 models, in general. I do NOT claim to have a great deal of experience on Gold Wings, Cruisers, ATC/ATVs and dirt bikes.

I have owned/ridden/maintained Honda motorcycles for 35 years. I have written five books on Honda repairs and collecting. I was a service manager for two Honda shops back in the 1980s.

VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) of North America

VJMC newsletter, as editor for two years and as contributing editor currently.

3 years auto shop in high school, teacher's aide in Automotive Technology in Jr. College, Diesel mechanic course in college, self-taught mechanic and automotive writer.