Motorcycle Safety & Driveability/Earplugs

I use foam ear plugs to protect my hearing while wearing my helmet. Having said that, I would like to know why I keep reading that certain forms of protection "may not be legal" in your state? I think the distinction is whether I am wearing speakers in my plugs or just sound attenuating foam. I am going to continue wearing earplugs but it would be nice to know if the state trooper is going to ticket me over this.

I also wear earplugs at all times when riding my motorcycles. I have searched for the Florida laws on this and can only find a reference that helmet speakers are allowed. Here is a link to the AMA website for state motorcycle laws.

Every medical study I have read supports the wearing of hearing protection when riding. Each state has different laws regarding this issue. Some are very restrictive while others have laws which have been updated based on medical research.

While I can't suggest that you ignore the law I do suggest that you protect your hearing.

The AMA website is a good resource for motorcycle laws when planning to travel through other states.

Thank you for the question. Please let me know if you have further questions on this.

Ride Safe and Ride Well.

Tom Wright

Motorcycle Safety & Driveability

Tom Wright

Motorcycle Safety, Motorcycle Rider Training, Motorcycle Driver Licensing and Inspections, Motorcycle Touring

Retired in 2008 from the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission where I held various positions, most notably as Director of Inspections and Licensing and the State Administrator for the Motorcycle Safety Education Program. During that time I served with the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA)as Region 1 Chair and Vice-Chair of the Engineering and Vehicle Inspection committee and member of the Task Force on Altered Height Vehicles and various other committees for 20 plus years. Currently, President of Central Jersey Rider Training, Inc. an MSF and NJMVC approved training provider. I starting riding at an early age and have been riding motorcycles for over 40 years.

State Motorcycle Safety Administrators (SMSA) Federal Bureau Of Investigation (FBI) Citizens Academy Alumni Association

Motorcycle Consumer News - March and April, 2009 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Technical Paper on The Effect of Tire Rolling Radius on Pedal Force Gain and Rollover Propensity of a Light-Duty Truck

Currently hold a MSF RiderCoach certification. Certified Public Manager certification from Rutgers University.