Motorcycle Safety & Driveability/motorcycling in Spain


I have now thoroughly enjoyed visiting Spain on a number of holidays on my motorbike. I would like to ride an historic bike on a similar holiday (max 3 weeks)in Spain. In the UK these machines do not require indicators or mirrors, therefore would these bikes be legal in the ECU/ Spain?

Many thanks, Sid Butler.

First of all, please accept my apologies for the late reply as I have been away for a few days on Church duties.
As far as I can ascertain from the regulations, you should be ok but I have included the relevant sections for you to double check. I am hoping to make a European trip myself next year although not on a classic Brit unfortunately - a 25 Yr. old Suzuki will just have to do! I will be thinking of you, (With some jealousy too!)

Lighting Equipment and Reflectors:
Direction Indicators
motorcycles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must be approved to EC Directive 76/759,
93/92, Chapter 2 of 97/24 or to ECE Regulation 6 or 50;
Stop Lamps and Front and Rear Position Lamps - on motorcycles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must be approved to EC Directive 76/758, 93/92, Chapter 2 of 97/24 or ECE Regulation 7 or 50;
Rear Reflectors - on motorcycles first used before 1 April 1991 must comply with the requirements of British Standard AU 40.
If first used after 1 April 1991 they must be approved to EC Directive 76/757, 93/92, Chapter 2 of 97/24 or to ECE Regulation 3;
Rear Registration Plate Lamp - on motorcycles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must be approved to EC Directive 76/760,93/92 and Chapter 2 of 97/24 or to ECE Regulation 4 or 50;
Headlamps - the regulations set minimum wattage requirements for dipped and main beam headlamps according to the cubic capacity of motorcycles. Headlamps on motorcycles are not required to
have any approval markings, and (vi) As a general condition the regulations require riders to keep obligatory lamps and reflectors clean and in good working order.

optional fitment but if fitted on motorcycles first used on or after 1 October 1978 - must be approved to EC Directive 71/127, 79/795,80/780, 85/205, 86/562,88/321,Chapter 4 of Directive 97/24 or to ECE Regulation 46.01;  

I hope this information is what you are looking for.

If you need any further info;

Vehicle Technology and Standards 6
Department for Transport
Zone 2/04
Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street Tel: (0207) 944 2078
London Fax: (0207) 944 2069
SW1P 4DR E-mail:

Motorcycle Safety & Driveability

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andrew Booth


Motorcycle safety in the UK and providing links to safety organisations in the UK. I can also advise on road safety issues and some areas of road safety law in the UK although I can only offer guidelines, there is no substitute for a qualified legal advisor. Please do NOT ask me questions of a mechanical nature as I will be unable to answer. I am not a mechanic, I am a road safety advisor.


I was a Gold Star Riding instructor in the eighties until a serious accident nearly cost me my life. I have been active in road safety for over ten years in the UK and have had success in having road safety measures implemented in various areas, mainly around our local schools. I have ridden motorcycles of all sorts (from GT750 waterbus to CB250 dream) since the late 70's and prefer four stroke road bikes, my favourite was my old CB750F. two strokes are too noisy, off-road bikes are impractical in this part of the UK. I now ride a 23year old Suzuki GSX600 (Teapot)

NABD. (National Association for Bikers with a Disability - Patrons; Suzy Perry, Billy Connolly) Ridesafe Backsafe M.A.G. NEBOSH

Local and regional newspapers.

RoSPA/Gold star rider. C&G in Commercial; and Domestic Electrical Installation.

Awards and Honors
Gold Star Riding certificate. (Now part of RoSPA)

Past/Present Clients
Wigan MBC Ridesafe Backsafe Brake

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]