Motorcycle Safety & Driveability/Road Traffic Rule for Driving Age Upper Limit.

Dear Tom

Do yo feel there should be a Road Traffic Rule for Driving Age Upper Limit i.e. Old people who are above 65 and Above should not be allowed to drive private and self owned vehicles ?.

Do you feel because of old age eyesight, the chances of accidents happening might be more o the road and because of this Road Traffic Office should come out with this rule of prohibiting them to drive vehicles on the road ?.  

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Thank you for the question. As a current motorcycle safety trainer and former head of driver testing for the state licensing department I see people of a variety of ages riding motorcycles. It is my observation that there is not a certain age that makes a person more or less safe to themselves or others.

Please allow me to explain. I ride with a group of riders in my local BMW riders club who are well over 70 years old. A few of them even had racing experience as younger riders. I am much more at ease in the company of these skillful riders than I am in the company of riders who do not take renewing and improving on their riding skills seriously. Far too many riders and automobile drivers are under the belief that once they demonstrate the requirements to earn a drivers license that their learning is sufficient. That is certainly not accurate.

Driving and motorcycle riding require lifelong learner skill sets.

The age that a person's vehicle operating skills declines is as individual as the person them-self.

Thank you for your question. I hope I have sufficiently afforded you my experience and perspective.

Tom Wright

Motorcycle Safety & Driveability

Tom Wright

Motorcycle Safety, Motorcycle Rider Training, Motorcycle Driver Licensing and Inspections, Motorcycle Touring

Retired in 2008 from the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission where I held various positions, most notably as Director of Inspections and Licensing and the State Administrator for the Motorcycle Safety Education Program. During that time I served with the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA)as Region 1 Chair and Vice-Chair of the Engineering and Vehicle Inspection committee and member of the Task Force on Altered Height Vehicles and various other committees for 20 plus years. Currently, President of Central Jersey Rider Training, Inc. an MSF and NJMVC approved training provider. I starting riding at an early age and have been riding motorcycles for over 40 years.

State Motorcycle Safety Administrators (SMSA) Federal Bureau Of Investigation (FBI) Citizens Academy Alumni Association

Motorcycle Consumer News - March and April, 2009 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Technical Paper on The Effect of Tire Rolling Radius on Pedal Force Gain and Rollover Propensity of a Light-Duty Truck

Currently hold a MSF RiderCoach certification. Certified Public Manager certification from Rutgers University.