Movie Box Office/indian meets horse movie

gordon urqhart wrote at 2010-01-03 03:59:03
Juergen is right, there was such a movie and I too have been trying to find it for some time. I saw the film a couple of times and it seems to me it came out in the late 80's or early 90's. It was almost certainly a made-for-TV film. A lone Indian on the grasslands comes across a horse with a saddle and, I belive, some Spanish armor. He chases it, shoots it with an arrow, which lodges in the saddle. After a time the saddle falls off and the climax of the film is when he catches the horse and mounts it and rides. There is almost no dialogue in the film and it was beautifully done.

I'm sorry I don't know the title, maybe my description will jog someone's memory.

tux wrote at 2010-01-17 23:03:05
I, too, have been searching unsuccessfully for a movie I saw on TV in the early 1970's. It was about a riderless Conquistador's horse in full regalia that was discovered by a southwest American Indian. The Indian was afraid because he had never seen such a creature before. The movie has no dialogue, but documents the trust developed between man and horse as they finally come together. The Indian in the end finally figures out that the horse is meant to be ridden. Just imagine that period in history if you were an american Indian and had never seen a horse. It would be terrifying and fascinating, especially because of its spectacular size and saddle and bridle dressing typical of a conquistador's mount. Fantastic movie. I wish I could see it again.

Ern wrote at 2010-01-22 20:59:14
At last someone who knows this amazing and witty film it has been my favourite film for years aftr coming across it on tv accidentaly in the 80's?? but have never seen it mentioned even trying long internet searches if anyone finds it is available I would really like to get a copy and see it again I was starting to wonder if I had  actually seen it or just dreamt it !?

walkingbear wrote at 2010-02-12 18:13:49
I too remember  many years ago seeing a short film about the first horse an indian saw. It started with just the camera looking into the sun and the sound of the jangle of metal on the horses bridle. Slowly we see the warrior watching as the figure of the horse forms from the sun behind. All this just with the sounds of the spanish silver jangling.

It was only about 20 minutes long and I think in the 70s..not made for tv but what they would call a b movie..the filler before the main film.

If anybody remembers let us know?

Ross wrote at 2010-05-13 15:39:29
I remember this short film as well.  I saw it in elementary school about 1975.  I have tried in vane to find out more about it and so far the information presented here has been the closest I've come.

Ross wrote at 2010-06-15 14:46:25
I think I might have found the answer!  The movie may be "Conquista" which was made in 1971.  On the imdb.com database it has Jose' Maria Serrano as the complete cast as "the indian" and it was 39 minutes long.  Directed by Michael Syson.  I'm still not sure this is the right one, but what I've found so far seems to match up perfectly.  Anyone know?????

Ross wrote at 2010-08-06 20:38:27
Yes.  I found the book of the same title and it is the same story.  The book was written based on the movie, not the other way around.

Pauline Wallace wrote at 2011-02-03 10:43:08
This was not a made for TV movie because I was an usherette in 1968 and it was a support film at the theatre.  It was way ahead of it's time and one of the most brilliant films that I have ever seen.

There has to be a copy somewhere.

Pau;ine Wallace.  Australia

Rotoscope wrote at 2011-11-29 17:06:15
At last I find a reference to this film!  I saw this when it was broadcast in the early 70s.  I also rode horses, so it was of great interest.  I actually made an audio recording of the show, as I loved the music.  I probably still have the tape, and will try to find and copy it.  Now to find the video!

Rotoscope wrote at 2011-12-09 16:19:54
I found a print of this movie, Conquista, and watched it last night. It's wonderful.  The story is just as compelling as I remember seeing on TV when I was a kid.  And, the stunt riding is amazing.  Feel free to contact me if you have questions about this film - rotoscope66[at]yahoo.com

Judy wrote at 2012-11-16 17:12:13
I too recall this short film and believe it was in the theatre between 1968 and 1972.

We were rolling over in our seats laughing at the antics the Indian brave got up to, trying to mount the horse and once on the horse's back, how to ride it.

I had it in my head that it was a Mel Brooks film, but unfortunately haven't been able to find it listed in any of his film credits.

I seem to remember that there was a bit of controversy over the film and it was removed from the theatres.  I think that the Indian people were offended by it saying that it made them look foolish.  Could be wrong ........

Such a shame that the film has disappeared as it was really a memorable one.

Judy

Rotoscope wrote at 2012-12-07 18:08:01
When Conquista! was broadcast on U.S. TV in 1973, I made an audio recording of the program on a reel to reel.  I found the tape last week and have restored the recording for people who would at least like to *hear* the movie.  Also for fans of this movie, I have recently obtained the original soundtrack, which contains most of the music.  Anyone interested can contact me: rotoscope66[at]yahoo.com  

shelld wrote at 2013-03-12 00:03:06
is the year in the 1980's about the indian meeting the horse for the first time? Excellant film, would love to view it again

Ashley A wrote at 2013-03-12 21:31:03
This was a wonderfully entertaining movie.  I remember much about it.  I believe it was narrated by Richard Boone and the music was played solo on a classical guitar.

One classic scene featured the Indian astride the horse with his arms akimbo and head tilted back, laughing heartily as they raced across the plains at full speed.  It ended with the Indian and horse walking side by side into a huge red sun set.

Jim wrote at 2013-09-16 20:52:00
I saw this movie also. I believe it was called "Conquista" , and it was based on an Apache Indian legend called " The Legend of the Single Day" . If a copy exists, please let me know.

Robin wrote at 2015-11-03 02:52:41
I did see it once and am thinking it was called "Conquistador" and was aired in the late 1970s or very early 80s? I thought Hallmark had something to do with it but am not sure.  It doesn't pull up on their site.  

Pedroski. wrote at 2015-11-20 17:46:36
Judy was correct.

I saw the film as a support for 'Under Milk Wood'

in Central London circa 69/72.

Pedro H.

Sherry G wrote at 2016-06-01 12:45:25
YES!!! Thank you for finding this, I saw this movie in 1973, on TV, loved it, never forgot it. Especially the ending, where he finally mounts the horse successfully and rides off joyfully into the sunset with his arms raised to the heavens and legs sticking out to the sides... I loved it so much that, shortly after, I was telling my riding companion about it while sitting on a large pony, a mile away from the barn. To demonstrate how he rode off, I dropped the reins, raised my arms and stretched out my legs... Anticipating that I was about to do a giddyup by clamping down hard with my legs, that pony took off running, I did a somersault off his back and was surprised to find myself sitting on the ground, having made a perfect 3 point landing, legs still outstretched! Oh did we get in trouble, mostly because Annie chased that pony back to the barn where they both arrived hot and sweaty... After I got over the shock, discovered I wasn't hurt, I began walking back to the barn, and Annie met me halfway with the pony so I could ride the rest of the way back to the barn (at a walk). She told me we were in big trouble and had to cool them off and put the horses up for the day... but oh, how we laughed!

Thanks, that movie is so imprinted on my brain... How he trailed the horse persistently and befriended it... A wonderful experience!

Movie Box Office

Charles White