Moving Furniture/Moving 60" round folding table down stairs

Question
I work alone and need to move 4 large round folding tables down 1 flight of stairs. The tables weigh approximately 40-50 lbs each. I tried rolling them but they just slide and are too heavy too control alone. Is there some sort of way to move them? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hello Susan,

If you had trouble "sliding" them down the stairs, there isn't much else you can do other than carry them. There is another option you could try but also requires sliding them down the stairs. Once the table legs are folded flat against the bottom of the table, maneuver the table to the top of the stairs. Position the bottom of the table against your side that will face the railing. Lets just say it is your left side of your body. Keeping the table bottom against your left side and shoulder, grab the lower folded leg's "crossbar" with your left hand. Take your right arm and hand and grab the top edge of the table. Keep the table pressured close to the left side of your body. As the table starts over the first step, don't let it start to rotate like a wheel. The crossbar should remain horizontal all the way down the stairs  as your opposite hand/arm remains on the top of the table. Keeping these hand and arm positions puts the brakes on the table. You will just let it "slide" over each step till you reach bottom. If it's too hard to keep the table at a 90 degree angle you can slant it a bit but only a little bit! Keep a good grip on the crossbar and top edge.

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything. Keep me posted and please be careful!

Thanks,

Harry

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky